|Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of answers to our most frequently asked questions. Feel free to contact Dr. Ritterspach with any other questions or concerns you may have regarding your visit. You may also email him directly - firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704.604.7224.
- What is the first appointment like?
During the initial intake appointment, we will discuss your concerns that brought you to therapy, identify your strengths, and I will collect background information from you. At the end of the appointment, we will decide if we are a good fit in working together, and if so, develop a treatment plan unique to you. I often suggest readings and assignments to complete between sessions. The first appointment lasts approximately 60 minutes.
- How long are subsequent sessions?
Session time may vary from 30 minutes to 90 minutes depending on your treatment goals, although typically sessions last for approximately 45 minutes.
- What are some common reasons why people go to therapy?
Individuals choose to embark in therapy for a number of reasons, including resolving symptoms of depression, low self-esteem, and anxiety; learning to manage stress more effectively; improving communication and relationships skills; and gaining insight into their behavior. Most people go through a rough time in their life at some point, such as experiencing family trouble, relationships issues, or problems in school. Therapy can help people sort out their feelings, find solutions to problems, and feel better about themselves.
- What is your approach to therapy?
Research indicates that the foundation for therapeutic success is the relationship and rapport between a client and therapist. My clients describe me as warm, humorous, and straightforward in my therapeutic approach. I am an active participant during therapy sessions and primarily use cognitive-behavioral interventions, which focus on the relationship between thoughts, feelings and behaviors. I also encourage clients to incorporate their values into the process. I believe skills related to distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness are central to a healthy life. Living mindfully - being present in the moment - is also an important skill that increases satisfaction and goal achievement.
- How long will I be in therapy for?
The length of treatment depends on a number of factors, including your presenting issue, how long you have experienced the problem, how frequently you attend appointments, as well as the time and energy you have to put toward making changes in your life outside of the therapy session. Most people attend anywhere between 15 and 20 appointments.
- What forms of payment do you accept?
Dr. Ritterspach's office accepts cash and check payments. If you wish to use your flex spending account, Dr. Ritterspach will provide you with a detailed receipt to submit in order for you to receive reimbursement. Dr. Ritterspach is considered an in-network provider for Blue Cross & Blue Shield (BCBS), CBHA, and MedCost. Payment of your co-pay, co-insurance, and deductible is due at the time of service.
Where are your offices located?
Dr. Ritterspach has two office locations - Waxhaw, NC and Rock Hill, SC.
- The Waxhaw office -- 400 North Broome Street - Suite 304 - Waxhaw, NC 28173 --is located near the railroad tracks. His office is directly across from Ice Cream and Pizza Works, which has a white sign with red letter that is easily seen as you approach. He is in a two-story brick building. His office is in the front of the building, facing the road. His office is in the first set of suites you pass as you come from the parking lot to the front of the building.
- From Charlotte, take Providence Road south, which also becomes Broome Street in Waxhaw.
From Monroe, take NC75 into Waxhaw and take a right over the railroad tracks at the traffic light in the "downtown" area. My office is on the right less than a mile after you pass over the railroad tracks
From Lancaster area, take 521 to NC75 into Waxhaw, and take a left over the railroad tracks. My office is on the right less than a mile after you pass over the railroad tracks.
Map for Waxhaw Office
- The Rock Hill office -- 1590 Constitution Boulevard, Suite 1, Rock Hill, SC -- is located in an office park - The Square - which you will see at the edge of the road as you near the office. The office is just down the street from Piedmont Medical Center.
Map for Rock Hill office